RISE
a sci-fi roleplay

to rise

01. welcome

Welcome to Novas, where the Color you are born into determines your future.

Will you accept your fate or will you fight against the system?

the bosses

02. staff

announcements &

03. updates

UPDATE 07 - 03/2018 The Stupid Cupid event is now over! Everyone who took part has been rewarded with points and a tiny cute award! Stay tuned for more challenges and events :>

UPDATE 06 - 02/2018 Our Valentine's Day event is here! Go sign up your characters for some free smootches ;D

UPDATE 05 - 12/2017 HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! We have a new announcement for you, holiday gifts and of course we're giving warm welcomes to our newest members!! Keep your eyes peeled for more c: Also, did you notice we're 2 months old now? Yaaay!

UPDATE 04 - 11/2017 The event ended and every participant has received their rewards! We've also cleaned up the board for any inactives, updated the claims and ratios accordingly and we're celebrating Rise's one month anniversary! We love you guys so much <3

UPDATE 03 - 10/2017 Rise's first on-site challenge is up! Come celebrate Halloween with us and earn points and pretty badges~

UPDATE 02 - 10/2017 Rise's official opening is here! Today we open to the whole public, so make sure you welcome in everyone new & returning and make lots of friends and plots!

UPDATE 01 - 10/2017 Rise's soft opening is here! Make yourself at home while we iron out any remaining wrinkles around the site!

UPDATE 00 - 09/2017 Beta testing around the site has begun.

new poll

» what do you do with a rusty spoon?, tag; star
AIDEN VANDEGRIFT
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 06:36 PM
engineer / inventor
bisexual
Single
3 posts
20 points
Intelligent
Excalibur
AIDEN VANDEGRIFT
Offline / GREEN

HE JUST WASN'T STABLE ALL
ALONE
@JULIANSILVERLIN
Realistically, there was nothing wrong with the schematics that Aiden was pouring over, nor was there anything that was going to send the ship into a death roll in the middle of the bleakness of space. The fix functioned. That alone was enough to make Aiden frown at the schematics he'd pulled out onto the tablet to come with him, shuffling not unlike a zombie towards the smell of coffee. It might be fresh, even, but he didn't usually make such distinctions. Coffee was coffee and Aiden needed coffee to understand why the repair wasn't functioning the way the schematic claimed it could. Or the way Aiden could see ways to make it improve. With a little tinkering and shifting that to there and replacing it with a different metal, they might see not only a great leap in fuel efficiency, but a greater strength against combustion, shock and if he changed that and upgraded that and finished working out what about the piece of tech he was working on ended with the model exploding nine out of ten times, and installed that, the ship would have a greater manoeuvrability than it did now, plus maintaining a levelness that meant Aiden's coffee would be safe no matter what crazy tricks the pilots decided to come up with.

Pilots who asked ships to move in ways they were not built to move and then they made confused faces at him when something in the ship broke and then Aiden was the one who had to coo at the poor ship because they were abusing his baby. Okay maybe the ship wasn't his baby but the bits of her were, and he loved them all and he didn't want to keep replacing them.

That was a lie, he loved replacing them. With better bits.

Blindly, Aiden groped around for a mug of coffee, managing to make his way through the process while his eyes stayed fixed on the tablet and the information on it. He only put it down when he needed to turn the model on the screen, scrub at his eyes or grope blindly for the mug he'd just put down at the table he'd just dropped himself at. It only took a small sip of the coffee to realise it was not his. Aiden's coffee was always black, and dumped with enough sugar to make any dentist shrivel and scream in agony. This was creamy, and not nearly sweet enough, and after a large swallow, it was very clear when he blinked again and glanced at the mug, that it was not in fact, his coffee. Carefully, Aiden placed the cup back on the table and slid it back towards the unintended victim with a broad, sheepish grin as he slid his own back towards him.

If he was going to steal anyone's coffee at the crack of dawn - or whatever time it was, he wasn't sure, there had been a two hour catnap on top of his work desk a moment ago, thus the coffee hunt, but before that he couldn't honestly say when he'd last slept or looked at a clock - before attempting his most innocent expression while managing to look slightly deranged. Apparently, people might have that effect when they shuffled into the room bare foot, clothes slightly toasted, curls sticking up in every direction and stealing the captain's coffee.
"... I may have an idea how to get our fuel consumption down by about forty three percent, and I'm pretty sure the next model of the new targeting systems will probably not blow up, so just remember that before you go for my eyeballs with a rusty spoon. I'm not saying that a rusty spoon is a way to go because realistically there are far more economically and reputation protecting ways to murder someone in their sleep but see I've been working off these schematics and you really have to stop letting other people play with my bits of the engine because really what is this? Why would you do that? But I think if I swap this out for a different alloy, I'll play with it to make sure it doesn't blow up, and if I can get that other part to work without Nema- whatever his name was, having a minor conniption about a twenty-seven percent chance of life support failure, I can get the ship to be able to- You're still going to kill me with a spoon aren't you?" And yet for everything, Aiden mostly sounded cheerful by the prospect as he took a swallow of his own coffee and visibly brightened the moment he did. Who needed sleep? he had coffee.
pm
^
JULIAN SILVERLIN
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 08:06 PM
Captain
Demisexual
Single / Widower
6 posts
50 points
Natural Leader
Star
JULIAN SILVERLIN
Offline / GOLD

From Yesterday
It was early, but not in Julian's eyes. He didn't sleep very much, just enough to keep himself going. Enough to ensure that he was levelheaded and in the right state of mind. He never overslept. Or so he made people believe anyway. The few times that had happened, he acted like it hadn't, even just minutes after the fact, with people asking him why he had been asleep so long. Sleep was something he wished he didn't need. He had thought about using stimulants before, but in the long run, decided against it. They were addictive substances, and he didn't want to be addicted to anything but his ship and crew. Until something safe was developed, he was not going to budge and would just suffer through six to seven hours of sleep every night.

Having woken while the "night" crew were still working, Julian had gone to the bridge first to ensure everything was running fine. No one was surprised to see him. Being alleviated of the bridge duty for the time being, meant that he was able to get something to eat. First though, coffee. It was a necessity in his daily routine, as was jogging in a sim, which he had already done, and showered thank you very much. With everything but coffee and breakfast done, he went to the mess hall on the SS Invictus. There was no one else in the area, which made Julian happy.

Collecting his coffee he placed himself a table, going through reports on his data pad on his arm. He took a sip of his coffee, eyes remaining on the device on his forearm. He wasn't really paying attention to anything around him, absorbed in everything he was reading about his ship. Which was pretty basic stuff really, but for Julian, it was must reads.

His hand went to grab his coffee, only to collide with air. His blue eyes moved to where the cup had been, finding only the table before they slid over to the new presence at the table. Aidan, drinking his coffee. The Captain scowled in annoyance, even as the young engineer realized his mistake, only to immediately start in on his latest... well, just his latest ideas. Dangerous ideas.

Julian blinked all of once through the rambling, a glance given to his now undesirable coffee. The Gold nodded his head to the question, slowly. "A spoon, a spork. Whatever option is readily available to me." Then his eyes found his coffee cup once more. "Or perhaps scalding hot coffee that has now been contaminated." He looked back at Aidan, blinking. He was not amused.

The young engineer was a genius, he really was. He had fantastic ideas and brought a lot to the ship, but he also had a lot of dangerous ideas and didn't seem to take in safety regulations as much as he should. Julian both respected and dislike the kid. "Vandegrift, how many times have I had to tell you that "probably not" is not a word I want to hear when discussing explosions?" Julian asked in a lazy manner.

pm
^
AIDEN VANDEGRIFT
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 08:57 PM
engineer / inventor
bisexual
Single
3 posts
20 points
Intelligent
Excalibur
AIDEN VANDEGRIFT
Offline / GREEN

HE JUST WASN'T STABLE ALL
ALONE
"Just make sure you donate my brain to science." Aiden said with an air of contentment as he wrapped both hands around his own mug and inhaled the steam happily. He was pretty sure he was too useful to Julian to actually end up murdered, but a good portion of his mind was ticking over numbers and ideas a little too much to care if he was serious or not. If, in the next few minutes, he wound up with a spoon in his eyeball, well he'd know the answer once and for all. For the moment, he was content with being in the dark about it.
"I am sorry about the coffee, I'm not really-" He paused, yawning widely and hurriedly covering it with his mouth before looking at the hand in confused offence. He was drinking coffee, how could he be yawning? For what it was worth, though, he did look genuinely apologetic about the coffee thing, and probably wouldn't have blamed Julian if he had thrown it.

Maybe a little because he was pretty sure wasting coffee in that way was illegal in some part of the galaxy.

The question did bring him up short, a quick glance given to Julian to see if he was asking for an exact number (which Aiden didn't know) or a generalisation (which was 'a lot'). Instead, he flapped a hand in a reassuring manner, before sliding the tablet closer to Julian (all the time watching the apparently contaminated coffee for signs of flight) to point out several additions on the picture that were obviously scribbled in his own hand writing. A lot of them were numbers and question marks, with various comments that were in some kind of shorthand.
"No, see, cause I'm doing it with a model first. I remembered how you have that thing about margins for errors and I swear I won't even try to run this in a larger model until i have it down to like a ten, five percent chance of failure that leads to explosion- I mean, a lot sir, I believe your exact words were 'don't blow holes in my ship', might not have been 'ship', you said, I don't remember." He babbled, catching himself briefly and tipping his head to one side as though to examine the problem of his - possibly a little angry - captain before he took another swallow out of his coffee - his! he checked! - and closing his eyes briefly to enjoy the taste.

None of this was probably helping his 'don't kill me' position. After a second, which was really a long time for Aiden to stay quiet when he wasn't working, he perked up again,
"What about telling you I have an idea to get the ship to be able to do some of the stuff the pilots try to make her. Contrary to popular belief, these ships aren't made out of hopes and dreams and the farts of fairies, but I think I have an idea to up the manoeuvrability of the ship. Make her turn on a..." He paused, clicking his fingers as he sought the term before shrugging,
"Basically no longer shudder, scream and pop screws that really will cause life support to go down just because they decided that when an engineer says 'no we can't do that', they think 'sure give it a go'. Also the guns, I have ideas for the weapons systems." Really, he had ideas about a lot of things. Mostly he didn't want Julian killing him, so maybe not wasting his time with all the other ideas that had a habit of spilling around Aiden's brain at any moment.
"Plus, you like me sir. I have it on good authority I'm adorable." His mother counted, right?
pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options
new poll

»AFFILIATES
Resources & Directories
RPG-D RPG Initiative
TopSites (vote for us daily!)
RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites
Static
Ark City Only Super
Scrolling

TOGGLE C-BOX