RISE
a sci-fi roleplay

to rise

01. welcome

Welcome to Novas, where the Color you are born into determines your future.

Will you accept your fate or will you fight against the system?

the bosses

02. staff

announcements &

03. updates

UPDATE 08 - 05/2018 A new writing challenge is up! Move us to tears with a glimpse from your character's life and get a cute lil badge as well as valuable points :D

UPDATE 07 - 03/2018 The Stupid Cupid event is now over! Everyone who took part has been rewarded with points and a tiny cute award! Stay tuned for more challenges and events :>

UPDATE 06 - 02/2018 Our Valentine's Day event is here! Go sign up your characters for some free smootches ;D

UPDATE 05 - 12/2017 HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! We have a new announcement for you, holiday gifts and of course we're giving warm welcomes to our newest members!! Keep your eyes peeled for more c: Also, did you notice we're 2 months old now? Yaaay!

UPDATE 04 - 11/2017 The event ended and every participant has received their rewards! We've also cleaned up the board for any inactives, updated the claims and ratios accordingly and we're celebrating Rise's one month anniversary! We love you guys so much <3

UPDATE 03 - 10/2017 Rise's first on-site challenge is up! Come celebrate Halloween with us and earn points and pretty badges~

UPDATE 02 - 10/2017 Rise's official opening is here! Today we open to the whole public, so make sure you welcome in everyone new & returning and make lots of friends and plots!

UPDATE 01 - 10/2017 Rise's soft opening is here! Make yourself at home while we iron out any remaining wrinkles around the site!

UPDATE 00 - 09/2017 Beta testing around the site has begun.

new poll

» Screws and Wires, tag Gunnar
AGNODICE FIORE
 Posted: May 15 2018, 04:29 AM
Prosthetics
Pansexual
Single
Thrity-Eight
14 posts
35 points
Quirky
Dragon
AGNODICE FIORE
Offline / GREEN

Her sleeves rolled up, Aggie worked on a minute circuit board that was needed for her newest prototype. Her head was in the clouds, and she'd almost forgotten that she had an appointment for a basic repair - upgrade? - to an Obsidian's artificial limb.

A peculiar squinting blink magnified what she was doing further, and she used a tiny soldering tool to complete the tiny piece, then blinked a few times to return the resolution of her vision to normal as a tone warned her she was being interrupted.

"How can I help you?" she asked. Her workspace was tidy but still managed to have a sort of cluttered air with half-finished work here and there as she tried to prioritize (or was told what to focus on from upstairs). This was - "You're Ward?"

GUNNAR WARD

--------------------
user posted image
pm
^
GUNNAR WARD
 Posted: May 15 2018, 11:26 AM
gladiator
bisexual
single
15 posts
90 points
cynical
ryder
GUNNAR WARD
Offline / OBSIDIAN

fearless child, broken boy, tell me what it's like to burn

beep. beep. beep.

the sounds of a mechanical heartbeat, shrill and unrelenting, echoes in an otherwise silent room. it seems too sharp a note for it to simply fade into the background. For someone to grow accustomed to. and yet, he has. maybe it's because he's scarcely left this room (this chair, really) more than a handful of times.

maybe it's because he can't remember the last time that he slept. he must have at some point but he can't remember waking up - or the last time that he closed his eyes for any length of time for that matter.

it's hard for gunnar to remember anything outside the sterile white walls and tile floors.

beep. beep. beep.

the prone body on the bed doesn't move. this tiny, broken thing, a tangle of battered flesh and wires. no matter how many times the whining medbot comes. no matter how much poking and prodding the doctors do. she doesn't move. she never moves.

the flicker of movement must be a figment of his imagination.

beep. beep. beep.

"gunnar?"

a tiny, broken voice for a tiny, broken thing. a voice that he only remembers as persistently sanguine. there's none of that now. still, his head jerks up, shoulders tensed, expecting a figment of his imagination. if it is, mia certainly looks real enough in her thin paper gown, sitting on the edge of the bed, eyes on him. that's odd. he doesn't remember feeling the bed shift. he doesn't remember catching any movement out of the corner of his eye.

"you're really here? you're okay too?"

she clutches at the hand closest to her. the only hand he has left.

"why didn't you save me?" she asks, and her grip tightens. his tongue feels thick in his mouth.

"i tried. i--" he tried and he failed.

"why didn't you save me? you promised to protect me. why would you let me die? why would you let me die?!"

and suddenly, gunnar was awake. Not in a sterile white room. Not with a dead little girl. No, he’s awake in the cramped little room of a less than reputable hotel with peeling walls and a questionably stained floor.

when the fear lets go, the anger sets in. the unfortunate vase on the nightstand next to him, the one that's already world-weary, hits the wall with a dull thud and shatters. a fist hammers on the other side a moment later with a string of profanity.

the scuffed clock that had shared a space with the now non-existent vase lets him know that if he doesn't hurry, he's going to be late for his appointment.

the work road isn't terribly far from where he's holed up. no more than a ten minute hoverbus ride. still, it isn't a place that he makes a habit of frequenting when he doesn't have to. it's a place where wary gazes remind him that he doesn't belong there. but obsidians don't really belong anywhere where the air doesn't taste like copper, do they?

the shop that gunnar is looking for is small. in fact, if he didn't know what he was looking for, he could have passed by it a dozen times over. fortunately for him, he's been here before - the first time, when his left arm was still only a stump. the receptionist at the front desk looks surprised when he ducks in and directs him to a set of stairs at the end of the hall. gunnar doesn't think he imagines the sigh of relief when he passes.

the sprawling workshop at the foot of the stairs seems both organized and crowded at the same time somehow. Judging by the response to his arrival, the woman that's seated in the middle of what seems like a series of half-finished projects has been expecting him.

gunnar grunts an acknowledgement to her inquiry about his identity, stepping out of the hallway. ”something’s off with the conductors in my arm. something you can do about that?”

AGNODICE FIORE

BY MITZI
pm
^
AGNODICE FIORE
 Posted: May 15 2018, 05:34 PM
Prosthetics
Pansexual
Single
Thrity-Eight
14 posts
35 points
Quirky
Dragon
AGNODICE FIORE
Offline / GREEN

The man seemed to think himself impressive, which was a surefire way to find Aggie less than impressed. She could dismantle the electronic parts of him and put them back together; what could he do? From the look of him, nothing that took too many brains, although she knew better than to think that appearances told the whole story.

Who would have thought, after all, that she had a mixed-Color child?

"Off. Off is vague," she said motioning for him to come closer so she could get a look at the prosthetic. "Be more specific. Sometimes these things are simple, sometimes not, and how they're off tells me a lot."

GUNNAR WARD

--------------------
user posted image
pm
^
GUNNAR WARD
 Posted: May 15 2018, 09:12 PM
gladiator
bisexual
single
15 posts
90 points
cynical
ryder
GUNNAR WARD
Offline / OBSIDIAN

he takes her motion as both an invitation to step closer and an affirmation that his trip here isn't all for naught. it isn't a thing that gunnar particularly likes, the thought of being touched. handled. being hurt, that's something that he's accustomed to, something that has been ingrained into blood and bone. to be frank, that's his entire purpose: pain. either to inflict it or endure it. so any sensation that exists outside of that feels foreign. wrong. it’s something that gunnar hasn't quite adjusted to

and yet his arm leaves him little choice in the matter.

gunnar is no medic, true, but it's difficult not to pick up skills here and there on how to patch things up when the incentive is one’s life (it’s amazing what someone can learn when the stakes are so high). the intricacies of his arm, however, are far outside his field of expertise. it had never occurred to him to grieve for the loss of the limb. in fact, gunnar had found it pointless - there's nothing that he had been able to do with flesh and bone that he can't with the cybernetic prosthesis. his only regret is that there's no field dressing a mechanical substitute. that's the real tragedy.

he can't think of a way to be as descriptive as Agnodice seems to be expecting of him (or, more likely, he prefers less talking to more) so he hikes up the sleeve of his jacket to show her instead. what had been left of his pay had certainly bought him something of quality - that much is evident - but ‘subtle’ isn't exactly an adjective that fits. there's no thin stretch of skin-toned silicone to blend it seamlessly. Instead, fluorescent lighting reflects dully off of the black composite plating.

against every instinct to keep it guarded against his chest, his holds his arm out so that she can get a better look at the way that it trembles from the elbow to the tips of his fingers. ”see?” well, it would be alarming if she couldn't. ”there's something you can do?”

AGNODICE FIORE

BY MITZI
pm
^
AGNODICE FIORE
 Posted: May 15 2018, 11:17 PM
Prosthetics
Pansexual
Single
Thrity-Eight
14 posts
35 points
Quirky
Dragon
AGNODICE FIORE
Offline / GREEN

The crisp, clean lighting wavered on his arm as it trembled from the elbow down. A tiny frown tugged at the corner of Aggie's mouth as she rolled closer on the stool, reaching out for the arm without any concern for personal space.

Prodding minutely at the elbow, she blinked in closer for a moment then returned her vision to normal. "Off with the jacket," she said, rolling over for some fresh gloves. "I need to see the whole piece, so shirt too if that's going to be in the way." First things first she needed to check the connectivity with his natural nerves; trembling could be a sign they were loose, and she'd be willing to bet this man was some sort of rough and tumble Color where he didn't treat his arm right.

GUNNAR WARD

--------------------
user posted image
pm
^
GUNNAR WARD
 Posted: May 17 2018, 11:19 AM
gladiator
bisexual
single
15 posts
90 points
cynical
ryder
GUNNAR WARD
Offline / OBSIDIAN

again, gunnar has to fight back the urge to yank his arm back when her fingers close around his wrist without warning. The move itself is an innocuous one on her part - the rational part of him knows this. But instinct? Instinct is a different beast entirely. instinct is thunderstruck by the very notion of not carefully guarding his weaknesses.

and what exactly is he if not a creature of instinct?

That's what obsidians are trained for: to run on instinct. That's why they put him in the pits when he was nothing more than a scrawny whelp and forced him to kill other scrawny shells before they killed him. That's why they sent him off-world with orders to slaughter anything and everything in his way. They didn't want emotions, they didn't want a conscience. What they had wanted was a dog to let off of the chain whenever they needed who wouldn't bite the hand that fed.

That's what gunnar had been. That's what he still is, isn't it? Mia had let him pretend for a little while that he’s capable of being something else but Mia is dead now. Because of him. Gunnar had no other reason to pretend. No other reason to want to. No, to the contrary, gunnar understands as perfectly as can be understood that he's an animal. But he’s a predator and there's nothing that predators do better than hunt. And oh, how he plans to.

But first his arm.

The nod that he gives her is short, an acknowledgment of her request to see his arm in full. Shrugging out of the jacket first and then the dark henley beneath, gunnar turns to her expectantly. ”This fine?”

AGNODICE FIORE

BY MITZI

pm
^
AGNODICE FIORE
 Posted: May 17 2018, 09:41 PM
Prosthetics
Pansexual
Single
Thrity-Eight
14 posts
35 points
Quirky
Dragon
AGNODICE FIORE
Offline / GREEN

"Fine, fine." She saw the signs of him wanting to pull back; it was like working on an animal a little, except Ward knew why he was there and was cooperating accordingly. Dogs and cats were harder. although at least dogs looked excited once they had their new limb under them.

She wasn't particularly phased by the now shirtless man in her office, and instead kept her mind in a professional place. At the moment she was more interested in metal and wires than flesh.

Moving up by his shoulder with her tools, Aggie pulled out a tiny instrument and popped open an access panel on Ward's shoulder. "Hold still, I've got to make sure all the connections are good."

GUNNAR WARD

--------------------
user posted image
pm
^
GUNNAR WARD
 Posted: May 20 2018, 05:13 AM
gladiator
bisexual
single
15 posts
90 points
cynical
ryder
GUNNAR WARD
Offline / OBSIDIAN

it's difficult to say that gunnar is someone that can genuinely be at ease and never does it show more than when he's asked to stay still. certainly not so when he's sitting shirtless in such an open space with only one functioning arm. even as he keeps one side steady, the other is constant motion. there's the line of tension between his shoulders, nearly invariable at this point. there's the way that his eyes flicker to every corner as if expecting the shadows to leap from them at any second. there's the way that his fingers drum a rapid beat against his thigh or his knee bobs to a rhythm that only he hears.

the fidgeting is sometimes exhausting just to watch.

it couldn't have been more than a few minutes of silence between them before even the wait for her inspection starts to grate. craning his neck, he tries to get a better look at the situation at his shoulder. Apparently, she's gotten to the access panel and if the uncomfortable, bone-deep tug that he feels every so often means anything, she must have something to work with.

Right?

"So?" gunnar prompts, the restless edge present in his voice. "Find what's wrong?"

AGNODICE FIORE

BY MITZI
pm
^
AGNODICE FIORE
 Posted: May 21 2018, 12:03 AM
Prosthetics
Pansexual
Single
Thrity-Eight
14 posts
35 points
Quirky
Dragon
AGNODICE FIORE
Offline / GREEN

"This isn't magic, Mr. Ward. It takes time." Aggie's voice was vaguely distant as more of her attention was on the mechanical part of her patient than his flesh. There were a very large number of connections to check, and that was even with Agnodice's fingers flying through them and periodically correcting the ones that had come loose.

Figuring talk might help his nerves, Aggie started chatting casually about what she was doing. "You have several points where the connections between man and machine had come loose so your body wasn't able to properly send signals to your arm, hence the tremors. After I have all of that corrected I need to check for secondary problems." She paused. "I don't know what you're putting your arm through, but I'm guessing it involves a lot of physicality. Even as durable as prosthetics are, there are limits to what they can take without regular maintenance and repair."

GUNNAR WARD

--------------------
user posted image
pm
^
GUNNAR WARD
 Posted: May 24 2018, 10:22 PM
gladiator
bisexual
single
15 posts
90 points
cynical
ryder
GUNNAR WARD
Offline / OBSIDIAN

”this isn't magic, Mr. Ward. It takes time.”

it isn't exactly the answer that he wants to hear, and gunnar gives a disgruntled noise as a response. It’s hard enough to stay still for any long period of time without being sans an arm. Exposed wires presently being fiddled with makes it hard to do much of anything, however. So the only thing left for him to do is to try not to snap too impatiently at her while he's waiting.

That's also hard.

gunnar bobs his head to show that he's listening when she attempts to explain the situation. ”that’s why I'm here,” he replies plainly to her pointed statement of his prosthetic use. she isn't wrong: his arm is, more often than not, put through a hell of a beating (to put it lightly) on a fairly frequent basis. though he's in no hurry to volunteer that information - his current profession is not optional.

instead, he focuses on the former part of her response. ”what kind of secondary problems?”

AGNODICE FIORE

BY MITZI

pm
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

options
new poll

»AFFILIATES
Resources & Directories
RPG-D RPG Initiative
TopSites (vote for us daily!)
RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites
Static
Ark City Only Super
Scrolling

TOGGLE C-BOX